Documents‎ > ‎

Building Permits

The Town of Holland requires a building permit for all residential and commercial buildings. The only exception would be agricultural buildings on land zoned Exclusive Ag or General Ag. Such buildings, do, however, require certification. See:
In addition, if your parcel is located within a Shoreland District, a permit will be required for almost any construction activity (see County Land Conservation Department).


The Town of Holland relies on La Crosse County to assist with the permitting process. Once their process has been completed, they will issue a "zoning permit". Here is a brochure outline their process:

Here are some helpful links:
Building Permits:

For new houses:
    1. Zoning Permit (see above), stamped in Red. (Town's copy)
    2. A Wisconsin Uniform Building Permit Application: [link]    or   fill-in form
    3. Verification of Dwelling Thermal Envelope compliance with Wisconsin Energy Conservation Requirements (Heat Loss Calculations or RESCheck Calculation) [link]
    4. Driveway application (If accessing a town road, see below)
    5. Building Plans including Foundation Plan, Floor Plan of all Levels, Building Elevations, Building Sections, and Window Schedule in detail enough to show compliance with Wisconsin Uniform Dwelling Code [link]
    6. Town of Holland permit application: [link]
For additions (including decks, pools, etc.), accessory buildings or plumbing, electrical or heating inspections:
    1. Zoning Permit (see above), stamped in red "Town's Copy"
    2. Town of Holland Application for Building, Plumbing, Heating & Electrical permits: [link]
    3. Building Plans for Dwelling Additions & Alterations

A driveway permit is required to access all roads and is obtained through the respective municipality:
    1. Town Road: [link]
    2. County Road: [link]
    3. State Road: [link] (Contact Wisconsin DOT- 3550 Mormon Coulee Road, La Crosse, WI 54601, 608-785-9022)

Fire Number:
Each new parcel will be assigned a fire number when a zoning permit is issued for a building. A fire number sign (reflective green with white lettering) will be ordered when you apply for a building permit at the Town and installed by the Town on building completion. There is a one-time fee (see fee schedule link below) for the sign.

Jim Webb, PE

See our permit fee schedule for the current fees: [link]

Updated: 07/25/2014

Contact Us | Disclaimer